On December 9, 2019, IAB submitted feedback in response to the Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) request for comments on its review of the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA).
IAB shares the FTC’s commitment to protecting children online and looks forward to working with the FTC as it seeks to ensure COPPA continues to protect children as technologies advance.
Highlights from our IAB’s submission include:
- Review of the benefits of advertising-supported content and services for children
- Feedback on the definition of “internal operations”
- Overview of the impact of the 2013 COPPA Rule on the availability and quality of free advertising-supported content for children
- Recommendations on the definition of “personal information”
- Request that the FTC maintain the “actual knowledge” standard
Member companies interested in learning more about COPPA should review IAB’s 2019 Guide to Navigating COPPA.