Buyer Perspectives on 2022 Media Planning & Budgeting
This is the second of two studies conducted by IAB in 2021 to provide the ad-supported internet ecosystem with insights into buyer investments and trends needed for strategic planning. The first study (conducted March 2021) provided a baseline for ad spend in 2021 by channel.
This Fall Impact report provides insight into whether ad investments, planning, strategies, and tactics are shifting for 2022. The survey was completed by those with line of sight into budgets, strategies, placements, and campaign KPIs.
- Ad Spend
- First-party data acquisition/partnerships, and Measurement are of greatest importance to buyers in 2022
- 2022 media ad budgets are expected to increase 13% YOY.
- Share shift to Digital continues, with Traditional budgets projected to lose another 6% in 2022—predominantly from Linear TV.
- The buy-side has shared that the positive shift to Digital will be distributed across its channels fairly evenly—and while Digital Video holds the greatest percent share of the total media budget, it does not show a year-on-year growth. These results are counter to IAB expectations and should be used directionally.
- Budget allocation/reallocation will be examined with greater frequency than has been occurring historically.
- Half of buyers say their 2022 budgets include greater investment with minority audiences—BIPOC and LatinX getting get the lion’s share of that increase.
- The ad industry is exploring ways to correct for racial imbalance in staffing.